CNC is the abbreviation for Computer Numerical Control. CNC machines are those that are run by the computer-generated codes that are fed into the controlling unit of a machine. These machines can process several codes in a sequence so that each segment of the work is divided accordingly. Unlike the NC machines which take in punch cards, CNC machines can be fed with programs written by the user and these instructions can even be changed over time.
Check out the first part of the video series DIY Arduino CNC Router Cutter Welder
CNC wood carving machines can even be made at home using tools such as aluminum U channels, threaded rods, long nuts, bearings, acrylic boards and a controlling unit. Although a diy cnc machine can be used for a number of purposes, it is mostly used for fabricating raw materials by selective removal of different components. The versatility offered by these machines has also led to it being called as a soft-wired numeric control machine.
Now here are some of the reasons why building your own cnc machine may be a good idea.
1. These machines can be used for 24 hours a day. They are very low maintenance as well as cost effective. You can only switch them off for a few hours so as to decelerate wearing off.
2. Cnc machine can be programmed so as to give exactly the required output. This allows for increased accuracy and positional precision while the work is being done. You can also have them repeat the same task over and over again by forming loops.
3. Even a homemade cnc router can offer a high degree of quality and reusability when it comes to the different functions that it can be programmed for.
4. It will act as the perfect trial for an awaited design. If the machine starts performing as expected, you can then have other copies made in the same fashion. So basically, it is a cost-effective and risk-free way of trying out receptivity of different orders given to the machine.
5. If you are running any kind of small scale carpentry industries, then these machines can be a great help. They can take care of the given job with high accuracy and also do not need training time. You will be able to increase the speed of manufacturing and also save time as well as money. However, the greatest advantage is that you do not have to deal with the mistakes that come with less skilled labors.
6. Once the machines are programmed, they can be left to themselves. Hardly any assistance is needed except to change the programs/settings and switching the power on and off.
7. There are no computational errors associated with home-made CNC wood routers. Once you learn the basics, these are very easy to operate. You will also not be required to frequently inspect the parts.
8. You can have it programmed for different settings. Once they are put to work, they give maximum output with zero time delay and operator fatigue. You can also freely interrupt to check while the machine is the middle of some activity.